Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Second line down Canal Street– May 5, 2012

Lets set the scene: Doug and I are walking out of the Immaculate Conception after an awesome wedding ceremony. The church coordinator, Julie, meets me at the rear of the church and tells me there was a mix up on the time for the second line.

I knew immediately what happened. When I originally filed the paperwork, I put the wrong time on the form. I realized my error (thanks to Kim) and submitted the changes. I was told the changes were noted, but they must not have made it to the officers in charge. The showed up at 6:15 pm for the second line instead of 7:15 pm.

Julie told me the officers had to leave for a different second line, but they would be back soon to second line my group. I just figured we would dance in the street as the Second Line Band (The Paulin Brothers) were there and playing for us.

I was pulled aside to remove my veil, bustle my train and get pumped to lead the second line.  I have no idea what doug was doing while I was getting prepped.


The second line umbrellas were delivered and Julie told me the police were already back and we could start the parade!541068_10150913076715185_1806546401_n

So off we went! The Paulin Brothers lead the second line, followed by Shawn (the best man) with the Lizzie + Doug sign, then doug and I, the bridal party, parents and wedding guests. We went down Baronne Street…


and took a right on Canal Boulevard. Tourist were taking pictures and videos of us! It was so crazy.


The police had blocked off the entire three lanes for our second line. I was floored. I did not expect all three lanes, but I guess that is the only safe way to do it. We had such fun…can you tell?


Once we got to the JW, doug and I led the parade inside and up the stairs. Lizzie_DougWED_0713_COLOR_large
(Above: you get a glimpse of our photographer – Collin on the left side of the pic!)

Once we were upstairs, doug and I headed to a private room to eat and have some quite time before we came out to party. We ate while our guests cocktailed. There was a 30 minute cocktail period for everyone in the foyer.

We got word they were opening the doors and and food line. Doug and I practiced dancing the fox trot we planned and I found out I could not do it in my heels. The dress weighed down the hoop skirt too much and my heels were getting caught in the hoops. Ashley came by to help my change shoes and do a few other necessary details. We practiced again in my white, glittery Toms and were good to go. It was time to be announced as Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Brown.

Next up: The party starts!

Love and Hugs, Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment