Monday, August 15, 2011

Alaskan Cruise–Seattle and Day 1 of shipping…

Doug and I arrived in Seattle on Friday night after flying through Atlanta. Can I just say flying from Atlanta to Seattle is 5.5 hours! 5.5!! One more hour and we could have been in London or Ireland.

Once we arrived the first thing we noticed was the fantastic weather. It was in the upper 60’s and rode with the windows open on the taxi ride to the hotel. As I had to work Friday morning, we were the last of our party of 9 to arrive in Seattle. Our taxi driver gave us an amazing tour and dropped us  the Marriott where my family was waiting for us to arrive so we could all have dinner.

We met up with the crew and went to eat a FEAST at a seafood place. We walked about 4 blocks and ate enough for 15 people and walked 4 blocks home. It was a 5 course meal with all kinds of seafood. It was delicious.


After dinner we went back to the hotel and crashed. The following morning we arose to see the famous fish  market and get breakfast before getting on the ship.

As we were watching the fish market this random guy walks by me. I immediately recognize him as my first friend on the Disney College Program in the beginning of 2002! I call out his name and he does not recognize me at all! I guess it is understandable…right?

Me in 2002 vs. Me in 2011…

lizzie and roy disneyIMG_4024

I was a bit blonder and heavier…anyway…I am so excited to see him. I had not seen him in almost 10 years. Here we are:


It ends up Steve, my old buddy, now lives in Miami with is hot wife AND they just got off the same ship we were boarding a few hours later. He told us they had poor weather (rain everyday), but the food was good. He also gave us a huge tip…get there earlier than they say you can! We did as we were told and  left the market immediately to go to the ship.

Since our hotel was across the street from the ship (great job Mom!!) we just rolled our luggage across the street and started the check in process…which was a process. Embarking is a multistep process. Here we go:


We end up skipping the whole line because Mom and Dad got an amazing suite and we were escorted on the ship before the tremendous line of people. It was truly amazing. I will tell you about the balcon(ies!!) and amazing room in another post.

We took some fun pictures and enjoyed their suite. The ship left Seattle that afternoon and we sailed into the sunset…literally. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy:


Ashley brought the many different faces of Andrew on the trip. Here they are in all their glory. We took pictures of him all over Alaska.


This is a shot from the mirror over the bed in Mom and Dad’s suite.
Told you it was posh!


Doug and I hanging out on Mom and Dad’s front balcony with Seattle in the background.  The balcony is on the front left of the ship. They had a corner suite.

The weather was fantastic and the views were beautiful as we sailed away from Seattle. We were in the inner passage so there was minimal rocking that night and for the next few days.

Love and Hugs,


1 comment: